Friday, May 25, 2012

I look young, apparently

Loyce and I have always been told by many people that we look young.

"You're too young to have a child!"

"Are you sure you're old enough to use the activity center?" (asked of us during college)

"Yeah, I'm going to need to see some ID." (entering any sort of 18+ or 21+ facility)

But never before have I seen someone slam an entire table full of people at once with a comment about my appearance.

I go to lunch with a handful of co-workers every Friday. The group is mostly the same each week and made up of primarily late-20-somethings and 30-somethings. Today the waitress came to us after the meal was over, looked at me, and said, "I have to ask you a question....how old are you?" I laughed, having received questions similar to that frequently, and informed her that I was 28 and had a child.

"Oh...you don't look it," she said, providing us an insight into her inner monologue. But it was what she followed up with that I didn't see coming. "Like...you don't look like the other guys at the table."

I wasn't sure how to react, so I just laughed. That was when everyone else caught on to what had just happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment